Wednesday, December 9, 2009
Challenges and Awards
I've decided to do the 2010 Debut Author Challenge (because we all know how well I do at challenges). But, this one seems pretty easy. After all, I love to read (and I love any excuse to buy books) The rules are simple: Read at least 12 books by debut authors in 2010.
So here's my list (in order of when they debut [I think]):
*A Match Made in High School by Kristin Walker
*Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
*The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
*Under my Skin by Judith Graves
*Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey
*Whisper by Phoebe Kitanidis
*Wolves, Boys, and Other Things That Might Kill Me by Kristen Chandler
*Northanger Alibi by Jenni James
*Other by Karen Kincy
*What They Always Tell Us by Martin Wilson
*Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
*Anna and the Boy Masterpiece by Stephanie Perkins
I'm also looking forward to reading a lot of the sequels to series I started this year. But those don't count on this list because they aren't "debut".
And in other news. I won an award. :)
Or maybe I just received virtual flowers. Either way, someone likes me and her name is Julie Nelson. And I like her too. If you haven't been to her site, she's quite witty and always charming. So the rules are I have to write down seven things you don't know about me and then pass it on to seven bloggers.
1. The later it gets the more uninhibited I become. I generally get the most writing done at night. And I often write my blog posts late at night and set them to publish in the morning. For example, it is 11:30 pm right now. I'm feeling fairly silly. But I'm sure if you read back on some of my other posts you would be able to tell which ones I wrote past midnight and which ones I wrote when I woke up in the morning. I always thought it would be a fun experiment to write a book only utilizing the hours from when I wake to 10 am. But then I came to the conclusion that not only would it never get finished but it would probably be full of rude and/or boring characters (or they'd always be talking about sleeping). :)
2. I laugh really loud. Often times I've had people come up to me and say something to the effect of: "I knew you were here because I heard you laughing." It's kind of embarrassing and I've made several conscious efforts to be a quieter laugher, but it never works so I have given up.
3. I'm told that I snore when I sleep on my back, but I've never heard it so I doubt it's true.
4. When my husband and I got married we were gifted two desert tortoises (I made that sound as though it was part of the ceremony. It wasn't. They were just a unique wedding gift from a friend). We've had them for twelve years now and they are the best pets ever. They eat a head of lettuce three times a week, they hibernate all winter, and they don't shed or jump on me. (Don't kill me dog/cat lovers. I like to look at furry creatures. They're pretty. Occasionally I even like to pet them. But I don't make a good dog/cat owner. I'm low maintenance and I like my pets to be as well.)
5. This is probably something you already know about me, but: I'm fond of chocolate. Okay, it's more of an obsession. If I could live on only chocolate and still be healthy, I would.
6. I'm kind of a food wimp. If a food is spicy enough to make me cry or make my nose run, I steer clear of it. In fact, I don't understand the appeal of a food that gives you watery eyes and a runny nose. (I have a feeling I'm about to get a lot of comments defending spicy food)
7. I think Weird Al is funny. (Yes, he's still around) I watched his video "White and Nerdy" and laughed (loudly, of course) for days.
8. I like to break rules. That's why I have 8 facts and will only give this award to 3 people. It's a small act of rebellion that will keep me from a life of higher crimes like running yellow lights or writing graffiti on the back of bathroom stalls.
I bestow these lovely flowers upon.
1. Candice Kennington because she's my best friend and I noticed she had no awards on her blog. Plus I'd like to see if she can come up with something I don't know about her. :)
2. Mary because she is not only inspiring but she makes me laugh.
3. Shannon (whose blog I recently discovered) because she is super positive and I always smile when reading her posts.